[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Question about ballasting and VA

Jon,

> This makes sense to me, if you'd plug in a pig with nothing connected to
the
> secondary, primary current would be little to none. But if you shorted the
> secondary, primary current would skyrocket (and the pig would explode
> seconds later, or would it pop the line fuse?).
>
> > No need to "limit" current at all...

snip

> Are you saying you can run a pig powered system with a sync gap and no
> current limiting?

No, I run pig powered systems with .1 and .2uf caps with only a
variable inductor in series with the load to "limit" current. It is the
"limiting process" that is under question here. My thought (which
echoes Ross Overstreets) is that current is not being limited but,
instead, capacitive reactance is being canceled by inductive
reactance (I'm guessing).

Jeff