[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

MMC Success!

I finished construction on my new MMC last night with the Pansonic caps
from Terry. They are so much better than saltwater caps! (What a shocker
there...) I consistantly got several multi-forked sparks off the toroid no
less than 24-inches long, showing a nice "banjo effect", which does not
seem too bad for a 3.5-inch secondary and static spark gap.

However, I have a few questions. Using the formulae for MMC caps, I
calculated that I should need around 33.6 nF (12 kV, 60 ma input). In
reality, I used on-third that. Any more capacitance, and I could not get
the coil in tune -- the secondary started to break down severely. The
working capacitance, 11.2 nF, is around the capacitance that you would
calculate with traditional capacitor matching methods, not the current MMC
calculations.

Should I raise my secondary and try to get the system in tune with the
higher capacitance, or is that just too much power to put through a
3.5-inch secondary? I think am already pushing the limit on the sprark
length -- streamers are going well past where a strike rail on the primary
ought to be.

Either way I am happy, the 3.5-inch coil is working great, and I can use
the additional capacitance on my 6.5-inch coil that is 75% done. But, it
would be nice if I could puch my small coil a little further.

Any input is very welcomed,

Daniel Lockhart