[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: saftey gap problems

> Original Poster: "Grayson B Dietrich" <electrofire-at-juno-dot-com>

Hi Grayson,

I can confirm what John said about the phase position being criticle. I fell
under a situation where I just happened to position my rotor onto my motor
shaft in the perect condition. I then decided I would try a little this way
and that way and found lot's of unpleasantry's with spark length. It took me
a while (back and forth, trial and error, etc..) until I got it back to it's
best position. It was a few degrees off the peak and "not" at the top of the
peak that I found the best position for the rotor.

I'm also one of those guys working on the variable inductance for phase
control. I have found something that works in simulation for enough degrees
to make a differnce, however, I still can't get a full 45 degrees with the
variac inductance allowable amount and the motors true inductance - but there
"is" enough of a degree change. I have my 10A variac home now and spark gap,
and about ready to begin experimention with it, however, I've decided "my"
best method for a scope signal is going to be a proximity sensor since it
won't matter what type of metal I use to generate a signal. (in other words,
I can leave my tungsten electrodes in place and use them). I'm hoping to get
a prox at work this week and replace the stationary with the prox to view the
variacs phase capabilities. It takes more than a resistor though. There's a
cap and resistor needed in parallel to motor to set the variacs inductance
capabilities (no resistor across the variac). I think this is going to work
to some "degree" (pun intended). I'll post my results when they are results.

Bart