[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NST's ARE ALL DEADLY !!!!!!!!

After a lot of head scratching we found the cause of the shocks.

1. Reinhard was right, the zaps from carrying the Secondary are static,
though they are worse after a run. But if a "Volunteer" carried the sec
around the lab, he got 1 zap about every 23 steps.

No Geeks were harmed in testing :)

2. The HARD bites I got while changeing the NST setup were under the
following conditions.

The control panel was completely shut down and the key was on a necklace
around my neck. The Emergency Stop button was down, the Fire button was up
(both open).

I was standing on wet concrete pavement outdoors in a city park.

Problem: We only switched the hot side, as is the norm. We do not switch the
Neutral side for safety reasons.

In this event the suspected cause of my bite was the Neutral in the park
floating to about 60VAC and grounding itself out...though me!

The panel is being redesigned, and we now unplug the panel from the source,
and the NST from the panel before makeing adjustments.

Safety through fear, pain, and respect. :)

Chris B.