[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Neon unpotting dilemma (high power factor)

Hi Adam,
comments after snip

> BUT... when I opened the unit, I see that the situation
is a bit more
> complex.  The primary seems to be tapped, with a PFC
capacitor across only
> part of the coil.  Could a failed PFC cap have been the
actual cause of the
> primary short? I'm thinking now that the HV may have
arc'd to the PFC cap
> (which was near the HV wires) and killed it,
effectively shorting the
> portion of the primary in parallel with this capacitor.

The primary may not be shorted.
I had a similar problem with a France NST with internal
PFC. On mine there were actually two "primarys", one was
for PFC and the other was the main "normal" primary. They
were both connected together on one AC input, the other
AC input was connected to the main primary and one side
of the cap. The second "PFC" primary is in series with
the cap, that's how they get PFC with a small 1-2 uf
cap. Just cut off the cap, let the "PFC" primary float.
If the main "normal" primary didn't short your
transformer should work fine, at mabey twice the
current(not 25 amps).

Good luck!
Allen Cart