[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Odd Variac Control And Transformer Really Buzzing ??

In a message dated 3/8/00 6:40:08 PM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<<
 The variac is a 10 amper, don't recall the VA rating I will
 have to check tonight.  By the way it's not the variac that
 is growling it's the NST.  It sounds like the 10 amp variac
 will not be good enough for my Allanson 15kv-at-60ma.  I have
 not fired the coil with this yet, I am building confidence
 and knowledge from everyone here before trying it out.  Besides
 the electricians wired all my 120 volt outlets, bathroom
 hall bedroom garage lights onto one 15amp breaker. :-(
 I have no idea how that could possibly have passed code.
 I am going to have a 20amp breaker wired into the garage
 hopefully soon.

With a pfc capacitor across the primary of the 15/60 transformer of about 160
to 170 ufd, it should only draw about 8 amps.

Ed Sonderman