[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: copper static SG problems

> Your power level is fairly modest and shouldn't be a problem for the gap you
> described.  Do you have any forced air flow over your gaps?

I've a strong cooling fan (25W) that blasts the gap.
But, errm, as I have connected the fan in parallel with the NST primary,
the fan slows down very much during operation... logical, but I don't see
a way around it (is there any?), as the NST is directly on the mains and I
don't have any 200W isolation transformer, not to mention a variac. Too
$$$ for me...

> In addition to keeping it at a reasonable temperature, performance will
> benefit with forced air as quenching is improved.

Well it get's barely warm after short runs (~40 secs), but the specles are
there after a few seconds.

> Or, could there be some contamination (flux?) on your pipes that's
> carbonizing as it heats up?

Nope, I sanded the pipes thoroughly before mounting them. And was careful
not to get the epoxy on elsewhere but the bottom of the pipe.

> Just how close are they spaced?

About 1.5 .. 2 mm apart.

I still haven't gotten around to what the problem is. The pipes are
ordinary copper, seem to be sufficiently cooled, but oxidize anyway.

What struck me as strange after a bit of thinking is that how come most
coilers copper gaps don't oxidize?
Would it be better to use "non-rusting" (hardened?) steel?

thanks,
Jan

--
 Jan Florian Wagner