[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Discharge impedance - more

Hi All,

Today I rewound the primary of my CW coil to 50 turns instead of 10.  I
"thought" MicroSim said this would give me more power to the discharge.
The discharge stayed just the same...  That makes sense since... if you put
100 watts into the discharge that pretty much defines the power and not the
primary inductance or coupling... Duh...  I obviously set something up
wrong in the model or forgot to adjust some parameter.  The primary
inductance is obviously NOT critical...

There is one very great benefit to the 50 turn primary.  It raised the
tuning frequency about 20kHz which puts it back into the center of the
power supply's frequency tuning range!  Thus, I can now go to the full 900
watts (with 250 reflected) limit of the power supply! =:->)  I will have to
be carful of primary to secondary arcs since the primary is taller and near
the higher voltage parts of the secondary.

I can also verify that the best discharge occurs when the reflected power
is minimized.  I think there is much more to getting the impedances matched
up at just the right frequency.  However, if you pump 100 watts into the
discharge and everything is tuned, does it make much difference how you get
there as long as it works??  I will have to read the instructions on the
power supply's operation more.  I normally only look at the schematics ;-))

I hope to get started on the poly cap dissipation test setup tonight.

I notice that when I turn off the RF while the discharge is running, it
makes a nice pop sound.  This may be an indication that pulsing the
discharge will indeed have neat effects.  I need to wire up a LMC555 timer
and find the control connector pinouts still, but pulsing the coil should
be a lot of fun.

I took some video pictures, digital pictures, and the diagram of the thing
that I posted to the net for your entertainment:

http://www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/misc/cw/

As usual, I apologize for the focus, lighting, exposure and all :0)))

Cheers,

	Terry