[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Discharge impedance - more

Hi Alex,

At 12:39 AM 03/13/2000 +0000, you wrote:

>Terry -
>
>All I can say is, Image9 and Image16 are stunning pics - the former for the
>'sheets of flame' effect and the latter for the beautifully defined egg-shaped
>corona around the discharge...... I might get that junkbox of FETs out and
>start playing - I have a 100VDC (>+/- 50V ) PSU lying around that can easily
>give 1KVA, so I may try a CW full-bridge experiment if I have time.... but
>using a tube-style feedback winding....
>
>Keep posting.......
>
>Alex

Wow! thanks!!  I don't get many compliments on pictures "i" take :0))

Fortunately, the camcorder takes pics at 30 per second so out of 27000
frames, I had a few good ones ;-))

The IR night setting seemed to always be overexposed.  However, I did
notice that the exposure can be manually set to either see the very bright
interior branches of the discharge or see the bright center but more subtle
surrounding corona.  It was very interesting to play with the exposure and
see the different levels inside the discharge.  At one point with the IR
setting, I could see the heat waves rising from the discharge which was
really neat too.  My outdated digital camera did not have enough settings
to really get good pictures and I'll have to wait for the chemical pictures.

I really like the camcorder for Tesla coil stuff.  Mine is the Sony
DDC-TRV36 NTSC.  It can zoom in and focus on anything and it is more light
sensitive than people (which is really weird).  You also have a wide range
of exposure and can see what you are doing in real time (good for those
that don't know what they're doing ;-))  They also seem totally immune to
coil noise.  The high light sensitivity also allows very sharp pictures
(fast speed) so you can freeze the arcs without much blurring.  I have
found it to be a surprisingly useful coiling tool.

Cheers,

	Terry