[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: MOT - PSU

>Original Poster: "Reinhard Walter Buchner" <rw.buchner-at-verbund-dot-net>
>
>Hi Herwig,
>
>> Original Poster: "Herwig Roscher" <herwig.roscher-at-gmx.de>
>> Hi fellow MOT coilers,
>>
>> For my new VTTC unfortunately I havn't found a
>> suitable plate xformer yet. Therefore I'm
>> thinking of using a couple of MOTs instead. My
>> YU-204 tube is intended for pulse use and will
>> require more than 2.5 kVdc I can get out of the
>> 1.8 kVrms MOTs used in this part of the world.
>
>Snip.
>
>Try looking for bigger microwave ovens with Gardner (U.K.)
>MOTs. These put out 2.3kV at 650mA rated (measured,
>too). Antiparallel both on the 230V side and series the two
>on the secondary side. Center tap the connection coming
>from MOT #1 and going into MOT#2 and ground it.
Snip...
>Actually, I have run 4
>of these in series w/o isolation xformers and they held up
>beautifully in air. There was no corona to be seen in the
>dark.
Snip...

>Coiler greets from (and back to) Germany,
>Reinhard

Hi Reinhard,

As you probably know by now, i'am MOTter and this weekend i did some
measurements om them. The ones i have (2300kV, 700mA and 2300kV 500mA both
with so-called magnetic shunts) draw secondary 1.5A without external current
limitation! I'am afraid these babies are at least not current limited
enough. But let me get to the point. The comments i have seen on the list
about configurations with more then two MOT's are not that positive. Mainly
because of the two grounds you create using 4 MOT's and the corona and
arcing to the core when the secondaries where disconnected from the cores.

Could you give us more detailed information of the configuration you used
and what do you mean by 'in series w/o isolation xformers'?

Ruud de Graaf
Greetings from lovely and very sunny Holland