[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: primary support materials

> Original Poster: Fucian-at-aol-dot-com
>
> Ive heard that plastic is best for primary legs but cant anything from home
> depot be used?IF not where can i get the plastic?

It depends quite a bit on where you live.  Check the yellow pages under
"plastic" and see what's in your area.  Then you can just start calling
around looking for 1/2" or 3/8" Plexiglas.  I got mine from a commercial
plastics supplier, and had them professionally cut my primary base to 24" x
24".  I then bought some lengths of 3/8" thick x 2" wide scraps to cut my
supports from (using a power miter saw).

When I went to pick up the base piece, they had bins and bins of plastic
scraps.  The told me that the arts-and-crafts community puts a big enough
demand on them that they can profit from scraps, and they had all kinds of
plastic pieces sold by the pound, quite cheap.  For those in the Boston
area, the company is "Commercial Plastics" in somerville, ma.  It's a
coilers dream, they even have plexi pipes that would make nice coil forms.

I have also seen a few websites where people have cut up HDPE kitchen
cutting boards, and used that on a laquered plywood base.

-Adam
adamsmith-at-mediaone-dot-net