[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ultraviolet light from brush discharge.

In a message dated 3/13/2000 7:18:28 AM Mountain Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>  Hi All,
>
>   While running my CW coil in very low light, I noticed that paper and a few
>  light colored cloths fluoresce as if under black light.  It was not real
>  intense but I was wondering if it is maybe not a good idea to stare at the
>  discharge for lengths of time.  I don't see the discharged "burned" into my
>  retina if I close my eyes or anything, but I thought I would ask.
>
>  Cheers,
>
>   Terry

Hi,
   Given that the visible light is purple, it is a fair bet that there is UV
present.  I think it would be in the low end of the UV spectrum, but better
safe than sorry.  I suppose it would not be too difficult to look up the
emission wavelengths of the various species that would be present(oxygen,
nitrogen, NOx, ozone, etc) to see how intense the UV peaks are.  I will try
to dig up this info at work today :o)
Mike