[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ultraviolet light from brush discharge.

Hi Terry,

> Original Poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
> Hi All,
>
> 	While running my CW coil in very low light, I noticed that paper and a few
> light colored cloths fluoresce as if under black light.  It was not real
> intense but I was wondering if it is maybe not a good idea to stare at the
> discharge for lengths of time.  I don't see the discharged "burned" into my
> retina if I close my eyes or anything, but I thought I would ask.

You'll know if damage is being done if you wake up in the middle of
the night with the feeling that grit has been rubbed into your eyes
(enlarged blood vessels rubbing on the inside of your eyelids) and
the room appears to have a fog in it. Happened to me once after
several minutes exposure to a UV lamp while I was exposing some
PC Bds.  Frightening. Took a full day before I recovered completely.
If you think there is more UV than you would cop outside, be careful
I would say.

Regards,
Malcolm