[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: .062uf 20,000 volts cap on Ebay

> Date:          Mon, 13 Mar 2000 16:25:59 -0700
> To:            tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject:       Re: .062uf 20,000 volts cap on Ebay
> From:          Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> Original Poster: "Malcolm Watts" <malcolm.watts-at-wnp.ac.nz>
>
> Hi all,
>          I had to jump in on this one:
<snip>

Malcolm, et. al.,

I had to jump in on this one as well.  Sangamo mica caps (sometimes)
if you are lucky, do hold up to repeated abuse at (or above)
nameplate ratings.  I must take exception that mica caps (in general)
are lossy.  Quite to the contrary!  They are very low loss: (look
up the dielectric loss tangent of ruby mica in any CGC Handbook.)
Mica caps are possibly the very best, at being low loss and high
effeciency; espececially with respect to size and weight, not
to mention low dielectric heating cooeficients, even at many MHz
of operating frequencies.  They are, however, *much less forgiving*
then extended foil type capacitors; especially the poly-pro family.

In my more then 25 years of work with this type of capacitor I
submit the following (rated best to worst.)

#1) Cornell-Dublier
#2) Aerovox (now mfr. under a different name.)
#3) Sangamo
#4) (the absolute worst) Solar

I've spent many $$$ finding out these facts over the years.  The
Solar brand will (typically) fail where the p-to-p voltages are not
even up to the nameplate rating.  FWIW!

Best regards,
Bill Wysock.
Tesla Technology Research