[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Dramatic Performance Drop After 5 Seconds?

In a message dated 3/14/00 7:37:36 AM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Greets All,
>
>  My coil when at 3/4 to full power will run really nice for
>  1-5 seconds and all the sudden the 12" - 14" streamers turn
>  into little 1/2" streamers, and the sound changes to a real
>  tinny sound.  If I wait a few minutes and turn back on, it
>  repeats.

Hi Bill,

Often when this happens, it's because the gaps are overheating.  I
forget if you said you have a fan blowing on the gaps?  If not, a fan
may make a tremendous difference.  When the gaps get too hot, they
fire at a much lower voltage.

>  I cleaned and checked to spark gap really well and the same
>  thing still happens.
>
>  Is it possible my MMCs are shorting partially and then coming
>  back to life after being powered down for a few minutes?

I doubt the MMC's are shorting like that.

>  It happens very quickly it does not slowly degrade over time
>
>  Many Thanks,
>  Bill Parn
>
>  PS: I have got some 14" streamers to air with only
>  a 9kv-at-30ma NST.  Does anybody know what the record
>  is for this little NST?

I think I got 27" or more from a 9/30 NST, but I'd have to check my notes
for the exact figure.  Theoretically it should be capable of 36" or so, with
a sync gap at 120 bps, with a suitable cap size.

Regards,
John Freau