[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Dramatic Performance Drop After 5 Seconds?

Greetings

I have a seven segment static gap, I have not tried blowing air
across it.  I will try this the next time I run, still waiting for
my eyes to feel better.  Also waiting for the NST protection circuit
stuff to come in.  I am building one based the Terrys design.

I thought maybe the MMC caps were self healing.  I thought I read
that.  I was thinking there might be some kind of gooey substance
in with the foil and PP that would maybe fill in arc scratches on
the PP.  The PP acronym sounds kind of funny -arrg ;-) Polypropylene
I think I might want to spell that one out.

> Oh, btw, what type of mains switch do you use - i.e. is it
> solid state, a relay, a switch, with variac etc? And how much amps does
> the TC draw when performance drops? And how about your NST, have you tried
> running it as a jacobs ladder or sustain an arc to check if it is ok?

I am using a variac, I don't have the means to measure the amps
yet.  I haven't tried the jacobs ladder since I started having this
problem.  I will slip on my metal cutting goggles tonight and
try that out.  That is a good call to try, now that I think about
it I did accidently in the excitement of never seeing my TC perform
so well, hit the variac to 140 for about 1/2 a second.

> --
>  Jan Florian Wagner
>  http://www.hut.fi/~jwagner

Many Thanks,