[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Several questions about transformer

-----Original Message-----
From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Date: Tuesday, March 14, 2000 12:06 PM
Subject: Several questions about transformer

>Original Poster: "Kamil Kompa" <czlonek-at-polbox-dot-com>
>
>Hi!
>
>1. What is the best material to make isolation between layers in
>   secondary coil ?
Mylar film is popular, as is Teflon. Kraft paper will work too, for an oil
filled unit.

>2. What should be the wire diameter to make 150 mA secondary ?

A typical guideline would be a minimum cross sectional area of 500 cmil/Amp,
so you'd need 75 circular mils.  (AWG 31 is 79 circ mil, .0097 inch diam)
1000 cmil/Amp is quite conservative, for which you'd need 150 cmil.  This is
AWG28 (158.8 cmil, .0136 inch nom diam (with insulation))

>3. What is "mil"? I found that foil thickness is measured in this
>   individuals of measure. (What is dependence : mil to millimetre ?)

mil = 0.001 inch = 0.0254 mm

40 mils = 1 mm approx...