[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: The worlds Largest Coil

This is getting somewhat off topic of practical coils, however, it is an
interesting aspect of large coil construction.  You would probably do well
to research how other large structures are built and maintained, Tesla's
tower at Wardenclyffe being only one example.  Technology has advanced
somewhat since those days, too.

>This is true. But how do we mount a scaffold lift on the side of a coil?
>This won't be easy.

Imagine a large cylinder some 20-30 ft in diameter..  Or more accurately, a
framework of structural members, cross braced, etc.  If it can take seismic
and wind loads, it can take the load of a 500 pound scaffold hanging on one
side.  I'd research the curved fiberglass walkways available to make a ring
catwalk.  Rig it with suitable hoist cables and you're done.

>>There you go... you probably don't need huge diameter though.. I haven't
>>seen ACSR in small sizes (like AWG4-6), but that doesn't mean it doesn't
>>exist.
>>

>hmmmmm...any ideas? What other than ACSR would be good? Size?

Do the calculations and figure it out... you need to tradeoff losses,
mechanical strength, and cost..