[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Interesting ozone production data

In a message dated 3/16/00 4:32:01 PM Central Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<< Subj:     Re: Interesting ozone production data
 Date:  3/16/00 4:32:01 PM Central Standard Time
 From:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com (Tesla List)
 To:    tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

>>>If that is all true, then why is there little detectable ozone when you
create long arcs with an arc welder?  The fact that spark length is
mentioned again and again says to me that there is a voltage (read
energetic) factor involved. ?<<<

Regards,
Malcolm

Hi all,

I have never arc welded, at least not deliberately. ;-))
Ozone cannot exist at the intense I sq R heat of the welding arc. A tank of
liquified O3 is unstable like
nitroglycerin. In the atmosphere, ozone decomposes back to 302 as quickly as
it is formed.

The oxides of nitrogen such as NO and NO2 are extremely hazardous. NO2 is a
liquid below
70 degrees F (21 C). NO and NO2 are both intermediate steps in the formation
of nitric acid. The
fact that a small test tube or porcelain crucible held over a TC arc will
show a brown spot of NO2
confirms that nitrogen dioxide is indeed formed in an electric arc. And the
rats in the Uptown Chicago schools can be shown to carry bubonic plague.

My point on the junk science here is that without an understanding of the
concentrations and rates of production encountered by coilers, we  cannot
evaluate the
real hazard(s). Tesla coilers, like gun nuts and others who like to pay with
mean toys, understand
that our safety depend on our ability to understand and control the dangers.
Maybe there is a
doctorate in physical chemistry lurking somewhere on the list.

I still like the odor of ozone and I just collapsed my soapbox.  ;-))

Cheers,
Ralph Zekelman

 Hi David,

 It is interesting to note that in my test, with a 26000 ohm arc at about
 200mA, the voltage per inch in the 5 inch arc, may have only been 1000
 volts per inch.  Perhaps that is below the ozone production voltage.

 Cheers,

    Terry