[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Spark Gap Sheilding.

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Megavolt121-at-aol-dot-com
>
> Hi
>     I know that a lot of RF interference from a tesla coil comes from the
> spark gap.(not to mention the primary is transmitting...).. Wouldn't it be
> possible to block out the rf from the spark gap by enclosing it in a mini
> faraday cage? I'm sure this would make the coil a lot "nicer" on the RF
> interference scale
> -Alan

	It probably would be, but you'd have to enclose all the leads to help
very much.  A lot of the hash from the spark gap is in the VHF region
and is determined by the resonant length of the leads.  I suspect that
most interference is caused by the primary circuit.  This would be
particularly true of TV interference.  When I am running a small coil
here (12 kV, 60 ma NST, 24" streamers) in the attic of my garage I can
listen to local BC stations without appreciable interference, but get
somewhat more noticeable interference (horizontal streaks) on the TV.

Ed