[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

New SRSG disk results

Hi List.

 Just wanted to share with you the results of my replacing my
original srsg UHMWPE disk with 10 electrodes with a G10 disk
with 8 electrodes. I had also modified my SRSG speed control
system to vary the firing point of the srsg instead of controlling
speed.

Well....

 Talk about chalk and cheese!!!

After fitting and setting up the gaps, I powered up, now without
'quantitative' measurements that I have yet to do I will resort to
subjective descriptions instead, (enclosed in '').

 The gap now 'sings' with a distinctive note that is very clear
as opposed to the previous breakrate/disk. The actual gap arc is now
very 'clean' and seems to produce much less light and 'spatter'
than before. The safety -never- fires!! If I vary the break position
using the control variac the system returns to it's previous behaviour
- i.e. there is a definite 'sweet spot'.

I have an inductive detector from one of our heavy vehicle speed
limiters
that I am going to use to determine the exact firing point on the wave
form at the 'sweet spot'. The top load arc is much brighter and
definitely
longer at the power level I was running at. I acheived my first arc to
the
roof supporting I-beam which is nearly 4 metres above the top load!!

 There is one problem, (isn't there always! :)), the current control
variac now has almost no control over the input current when the system
is operating at the 'sweet spot', at almost the minimum setting the
system will immediately go to 10KVA but stays there, (there is a god
:)),
 I am concerned that I am now seeing a resonant-rise effect that I would

prefer to avoid with my pig system. I am not using any additional
resistive
ballast - is this an option or will I have to change something else,
(capacitance etc).

 Still - what an incredible difference such a 'small' change
can make - I still have so much more to learn!!

Best Regards To all

Robin Copini.