[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Dramatic Performance Drop After 5 Seconds?

>Original Poster: "Bunnykiller" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>
>
>Tesla List wrote:
>>
>> Original Poster: Megavolt121-at-aol-dot-com
>>
>> << 1. Static Air gaps REQUIRE an Air flow for operation... >>
>>
>> Hi list,
>>     I DON'T find this to be true. I used a flat cutting board w/ four
copper
>> pipes mounted on there for my first sparkgap. This worked fine even when
the
>> coil was sitting w/out any wind and the gap was enclosed by a box. I was
>> getting nice 50-60" sparks easily before i blew my caps by overpowering
them.
>> -Alan
>

>Hi Alan...
>
>the previous was a purposed new rule of thumb for static gaps   :)
>
>but thinking about it now...  if you had an air flow across the gaps you
>may not have blown your caps  ;)
>
>Scot D

I don't think so Scot. One parameter that's influencing positively the
induced primary voltage is dV/dT. When the spark is blown out by an  airflow
the change in Voltage (dV) divided by the change in Time (dT) is increasing
thereby increasing the induced Voltage in the primary coil and thereby
possibly over-stressing the capacitor.  So, the opposite of your proposition
is true. That's the reason that rotery gap's are working better than
stationary gap's.

Ruud de Graaf
Greetings from Holland