[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Torroid question

In a message dated 3/19/00 6:06:24 AM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original Poster: "Trent Mullins" <neontrent-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>
>  Hello list,
>  Could anybody tell me how to connect and/or attach the torroid to the
>  secondary.
>  Thanks in advance,
>  <mailto:neontrent-at-earthlink-dot-net>neontrent-at-earthlink-dot-net

Trent,

This depends on the type of toroid.  If you use a commercial spun
toroid, they have a filled in center flat web with a small hole in the
center, so a 1/4-20 bolt can be used to hold the toroid.  If you make
a toroid using aluminum dryer ducting, then some sort of center should
be built.  Some folks use discs of metal or fiberboard covered with
aluminum foil and screw or tape these to the center of the dryer duct
toroid.  When I use drier duct toroids, I take sections of curtain rod, and
cut them a little longer than the the diameter of the center hole of the
toroid.  I use the flat type of curtain rod, and then I drill a 1/4" hole in
the center of the rod.  I cut the rod with a hacksaw and leave the ended
jagged.  Next I mount two sections of the curtain rod at the top of the
secondary with a steel machine screw; the two rods are set in crisscross
arrangement like an "X".  Then I simply set the dryer duct toroid on top
of the X.  The sharp jagged edges of the ducting dig into the toroid aluminum
at the center of the toroid, and this holds it reasonable firmly, and the
toroid
can be just lifted off as needed.  For larger toroids, I cut longer pieces of
curtain rod.  In any case, make sure the toroid is mounted strongly so it
doesn't fall off when the coil is running.

Cheers,
John Freau