[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: DC TC

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "S.Gaeta" <SGTPORKY-at-prodigy-dot-net>
>
> That's an excellent question! I tried it once myself. I used a rectifier on
> each leg to do the full wave thing. I did not use a filter cap. I simply
> threw the diodes in and didn't change anything else. This did not work as
> well as well as using one leg of the NST in the AC mode. I really expected
> an improvement with DC but got the reverse.Can someone please tell me why?
> The rectifiers were rated for that voltage and current and were still good
> after the run (my cap told me so when I discharged it-with a high voltage
> cable in case anyone was wondering :-))
>
> The added inconvenience is that now you MUST discharge your cap. Your
> transformer will not do it for you with the diodes in place. Of course it's
> a good idea not to depend on the transformer winding to discharge the cap
> anyhow even when running AC because something could go wrong. "Transformer
> discharge" also will not work for multiple caps in series.
>
> S.G.

<SNIP>

S.G.,

I suspect that adding the diodes prevented some of the energy that was
left in the tank capacitor from flowing "back" into the transformer's
leakage inductance during every AC voltage zero-crossing. The
bidirectional energy transfer that normally occurs between the tank cap
and the leakage inductance of an NST (even for non-resonant charging
systems) was prevented by presence of the diodes. This would have the
impact of reducing the overall efficiency of energy transfer between the
NST and the tank cap, reducing performance.

Safe coilin' to you!

-- Bert --