[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 250,000 volt nuclear transformer

Tesla List wrote:
> Original Poster: "Andy Cleary" <gemware2-at-dreamscape-dot-com>
>         I recently bought a transformer that steps down 250,000 volts to
115 volts,
> formerly used in a nuclear power plant. It weighs about 1000 lbs. and is at
> least 5 feet tall.  I think it said that it was a capacitively coupled
> potential transformer. I was wondering if you could hook it up in reverse
> and get 250,000 volts?  Are pole pigs connected in reverse for high voltage?
> Unfortunately I don't have it now, because I couldn't get it home to test.
> If anyone knows if it will work or have any other comments then please
> respond. Thanks,

I have a picture of such transformer in one book (Relesuojaustekniikka
by Jorma Morsky). Here is ascii art:

  HV

  C1

  o----L---o    o--- output
  |        |    |
  C2       P||||S
  |        |    |
  o--------o    o--- output

 Gnd

Where C are divider capasitors, L inductance for tuning circuit
into resonance at mains frequency (!), and S|||P stepdown-transformer
S secondary winding, P primary winding.

The book as well mentions that the capasitors are in nF range and
divider ratio is selected to get about 10kV to stepdown transformer.

I'd say that unless you actually use it to measure HV, you'll only
be able to get a couple of capasitors and a 10kV:115V transformer.

Of course, your "capacitively coupled potential transformer" might
be something else. How about reading the manufacturer name and
device type from specs plate, and asking for info from manufacturer..

  Kristian Ukkonen.