[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Bipolar or half wave.

At 02:15 PM 18/03/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Original Poster: "Luc" <ludev-at-videotron.ca>
>
>Hi to all of you!
>
>In my apartment I use one room for electric and electronic work, I
>manage to bring a ground from a pipe to that room because no ground in
>the electric installation (old apartment). My problem is: it 's really
>impossible to have a RF ground , but I really like to build a small
>Tesla at home for the first time in my life.

Hi Luc:

You might try an old Amateur Radio trick for your ground.  I've never had
to use it myself, but I'm told it works well.  Find some very flexible
bare copper wire, like is sold for building antennas, and attach a small
lead weight to one end of it.  About 25 or 30 feet will likely do fine.
Now the tricky part; attach the other end of the wire solidly to something
and have it coiled neatly so that it will pay out without kinking, then
flush the weighted end down the toilet!

That's right...down the toilet.  Most older buildings used either copper
or cast iron pipes for their drains, and with a length of wire threaded
thru them, have made good R.F. grounds for many apartment dwelling ham
radio operators over the years.  It might sound strange, but if you don't
have a lot of options, anything is worth a try.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca
           or ve3ear-at-rac.ca