[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 250,000 volt nuclear transformer

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Kristian Ukkonen" <kukkonen-at-cc.hut.fi>
>
> Tesla List wrote:
> > Original Poster: "Andy Cleary" <gemware2-at-dreamscape-dot-com>
> >         I recently bought a transformer that steps down 250,000 volts to
> 115 volts,
> > formerly used in a nuclear power plant. It weighs about 1000 lbs. and is at
> > least 5 feet tall.  I think it said that it was a capacitively coupled
> > potential transformer. I was wondering if you could hook it up in reverse
> > and get 250,000 volts?  Are pole pigs connected in reverse for high
voltage?
> > Unfortunately I don't have it now, because I couldn't get it home to test.
> > If anyone knows if it will work or have any other comments then please
> > respond. Thanks,
>
> I have a picture of such transformer in one book (Relesuojaustekniikka
> by Jorma Morsky). Here is ascii art:
>
>   HV
>   C1
>   o----L---o    o--- output
>   |        |    |
>   C2       P||||S
>   |        |    |
>   o--------o    o--- output
>  Gnd
>
> Where C are divider capasitors, L inductance for tuning circuit
> into resonance at mains frequency (!), and S|||P stepdown-transformer
> S secondary winding, P primary winding.
>
> The book as well mentions that the capasitors are in nF range and
> divider ratio is selected to get about 10kV to stepdown transformer.
>
> I'd say that unless you actually use it to measure HV, you'll only
> be able to get a couple of capasitors and a 10kV:115V transformer.
>
> Of course, your "capacitively coupled potential transformer" might
> be something else. How about reading the manufacturer name and
> device type from specs plate, and asking for info from manufacturer..
>
>   Kristian Ukkonen.

Andy, Kristian, and all,

I suspect that Kristian is indeed correct - most potential transformers
at this voltage level are either capacitive dividers or capacitive
divider and potential transformer hybrids. For a good on-line
description of this technology, check out the Capacitor Voltage
Transformer (CVT) section at the following site:
http://www.cybernet.be/gatdbalteau/high.htm#MVTUEX

-- Bert --