[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: SRSG motor anomoly

Hi Mark,

At 12:26 AM 03/21/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>Hey,
>
>I finished machining 4 flats into the armature of a 1725 RPM 1/4 HP (or
>something close) motor recently.  Today, I attached my G-LE rotor (no
>electrodes yet :-(  )  to the motor and fired it up.  Ran pretty smooth
>after balancing.  I grabbed an old stroboscope and clocked it at 1800RPM!
>I was happy, despite there being no way with this scope to test for rotor
>position vs. the AC cycle.

See Terry's rotary gap strobe light at:

http://www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/misc/STROBE.ZIP

It works really good!  The big Radio Shack LED light the electrods up well
and you can set it dead on.  I then use my chart to set the gap as I
please.  I made a little timing chart on my motor so I can set the time
just like on a car distributor (before computers took that task over)...

>Then, I applied a little load to the rotor by gently pressing on it with my
>hand.  The rotor position rotated about 10 degrees, then a full 90 degrees
>(to the next pole).  It took surprisingly little pressure to cause this.  I
>was wondering if I need to grind a little more off the armature?  I
>machined 4 flats .675" across, which is the distance between the two "dead"
>poles in the winding.  That is according to the directions I found on
>Terry's site.  Is it possible that the motor is crap?  It was replaced in a
>furnace.

My flats were 0.85 if I remember right??  I had about a 3 inch rotor.  Of
course applying "loss" to the edge of the rotor is a pretty big load.   I
think as long as the rotor does not wonder and is stable, you are just
fine.  I have run some pretty big rotors with a modified 1/4 HP motor.
John Freau has used motors with far less power making us wonder if 1/4HP is
far too much...  I wonder if your flats are too small.  They are supposed
to match up with the poles just right or something like that.  However, if
the rotor stays reliably in sync, you are there...

Cheers,

	Terry