[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Bipolar or half wave.

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Malcolm Watts" <malcolm.watts-at-wnp.ac.nz>
>
> HI Luc,
>
> > Original Poster: "Luc" <ludev-at-videotron.ca>
>
> <snip>
>
> > Tx for your attention ,you suggest using a passive resonator as counter
> > poise for a quarter wave resonator ? I imagine you need to use the same
> > inductace,same self capacitance and same top laud but  out of the field of
> > the primary .Do you know if it's an advantage in regard of a half wave or a
> > bipolar resonator.
>
> It is an advantage in some respects (the resonators can be quite big
> without being overly long and can be mounted vertically like the 1/4
> wave system. Ideally the resonators are identical but there is a
> "However" to be aware of: because only one of the resonators is
> driven there is an impedance imbalance between them that can
> cause pri-sec flashovers for the driven resonator under some
> conditions (e.g. top loadings could be made different to reduce the
> imbalance). I would rate the scheme fine for a small coil but might
> be a problem for a powerful system. Pri-sec flashovers don't bother
> me in small systems. I've yet to see one kill a transformer if the
> transformer is electrically close to the main gap.
>      Perhaps the real "ideal" to make this scheme happen well is to
> have a magnifier type driver built so it is balanced to earth with
> opposite secondary ends feeding each resonator. That avoids the
> resonator imbalance but problems might still arise if the output of
> one of the resonators touches ground and the other doesn't. I've
> used the scheme in a small coil but haven't bothered to pursue it
> further.  The English is fine by me :)
>
> Regards,
> Malcolm

Hi Malcolm

I see your point , It's probably easier physically and mechanically to make the
primary isolated from the secondary in that setup then with a bipolar. I
already
consider the approach of the magnifier I'm sure it's the simpliess way  to
solve
the arcing problem:  You  could easily built the driver in oil, but from what I
know they are difficult to tune and less efficient  I'll try that later maybe.
In your opinion what is the best option a coil with a counter poise or a
bipolar
coil without a ground reference. Please correct my if I'm wrong in a bipolar
coil you don't need to fide energy to the ground you just need a reference.

Tx Luc Benard