[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Glass Capacitor

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Scott Stephens" <Scott2-at-Mediaone-dot-net>
>
> Who has used plate glass for their capacitor, what specs and what results? I
> remember someone complaining a while back it was very heavy. I'm considering
> stacked plates with aluminum foil in between:
> 10" x 10" with 1/4" on the edges painted with corona dope
> .05" or .1" thick plate glass for 12KV?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott

	Used glass plate capacitors made from double-strength window glass when
I was a kid, and always punctured the glass before much running.  That
was with a 6 kV, 30 ma (?) NST.  Maybe they could be made to work if you
used thick enough glass and got them well enough oil-impregnated to
prevent corona, but I suggest saving your pennies until you can do
something better, such as buy commercial units.  Doesn't seem sporting
not to make them, but the results will probably be much more
satisfactory.  For home-built HV capacitors made with commercial
components, the MMC's sure sound interesting, but have yet to try the
idea here.  Most assuredly will.

Ed