[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Glass Capacitor

In a message dated 3/22/00 8:04:44 PM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original Poster: "Scott Stephens" <Scott2-at-Mediaone-dot-net>
>
>  Who has used plate glass for their capacitor, what specs and what results?
>  remember someone complaining a while back it was very heavy. I'm
considering
>  stacked plates with aluminum foil in between:
>  10" x 10" with 1/4" on the edges painted with corona dope
>  .05" or .1" thick plate glass for 12KV?
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  Scott

Scott,

Glass is miserable stuff; heavy, lossy, bulky, subject to breakage, and must
be run in oil or similar to reduce corona.  It works probably similar to salt
water/ bottle caps, probably slightly better.

Cheers,
John Freau