[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Building an SRSG

In a message dated 3/24/00 4:15:37 AM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  Original Poster: Megavolt121-at-aol-dot-com
>
>  Hi all,
>    AFter reading many posts about grinding down the rotors etc, i was
>  wondering why can't you just start out by buying a sync motor? are there
>  drawbacks to doing this? i know that if this is easier, i'll go this route
>  when i actually decide to build an RSG
>  -Alan

Alan,

Yes, it is easier to just buy a sync motor, but they tend to be expensive
and sometimes hard to find second-hand.  The only caveat is to avoid
the type of sync motors that can lock to many "positions".  This type
will have to be re-phased to the AC each time the rotary is started up.
Hysterisis, and salient pole types will work OK.  There may be other
types that are OK too, I'm not a sync motor expert.

The induction motor modification is popular because these motors can
be obtained so easily and cheaply, and because the modification is so
easy to do.

Cheers,
John Freau