[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Building an SRSG

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Megavolt121-at-aol-dot-com
>
> Hi all,
>   AFter reading many posts about grinding down the rotors etc, i was
> wondering why can't you just start out by buying a sync motor? are there
> drawbacks to doing this? i know that if this is easier, i'll go this route
> when i actually decide to build an RSG
> -Alan

Hi Alan ...

finding a sync motor of decient HP is the problem....   99.9% of the
motors out there are 1725 or 3450 rpm

and with such a wealth of motors of such a nature its alot easier to
find one of them  ( the 1725, 3450 ) ...

the grinding of armatures seems intimidating at first but it isnt that
bad.
since most 1725 rpm motors ( fractional HP ) have a 3.5 or so diameter (
rotor ) grinding, milling, etc 4 flats is easy, its just knowing how
wide to make the flats
so far the magic number seems to be approximately 1". I milled .875 wide
on mine with good results, others have cut a as wide as 1.25" and still
have a functional motor ...

Scot D