[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Remote phase cntrl

snip
> > BTW. For those wanting to control sync RSG phase remotely, complex phase
> > shifting of the line voltage is not necessary if shifts of less than
90deg
> > are sufficient.  If the line voltage is merely decreased with a Variac,
> > the phase of the motor shaft moves through 90deg before falling out of
> > sync.
> >
> > Therefore a simple variable voltage source (Variac) can provide some
phase
> > adjustment provided your motor locks-in over a reasonable voltage range.
> > Maybe the motor could be set to roughly the desired phase mechanically,
> > and a Variac could be used to get +/- 20 degrees or so. Beware trying to
> > delay the firing too far,  as it WILL hunt eventually !!!

Hi,
 I have a huge 4 amp rheostat (sp?). It was originally used as an
incandecent light dimmer (it looks very much like a variac). I was wondering
if I could use it to get a phase shift instead of buying another variac. I'm
not sure if it will handle my 1/2 hp sync motor though. Does anyone know how
much current a sync modified 1/2 hp 120v motor draws? Will a rheostat have
the same effect on phase as a variac? I'd hook it all up and test it myself,
but my entire TC system is packed away for a while so I can get some other
things done.

Thanks,
Jon