[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: mini TC/plasma globe

Hi,

> so I decided to put a clear light bulb on it and I
> got plasma discharge(not very intense) but when I touched
> the bulb I got zapped right through the glass.

Maybe the zapping is because the light bulb has such a thin glass - so the
capacitance between finger and interior is higher, and there's more energy
flowing through you. Could be it also has something to do with the
nitrogen molekules breaking down and not re-reacting, leaving the bulb
ionized - which is not the case when you use single atom neon, xenon and
other inert gases.

In some commercial plasma globes one side of the globe surface is covered
with a thin layer of metal dust, probably to attract the streamers, and
to keep the capacitance between finger and electrode as low as possible.
You can find more info if you use patent.womplex.ibm-dot-com and search for
US04963792 and US04754199, by William P. Parker.

--
 Jan Florian Wagner
 http://www.hut.fi/~jwagner