[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: My new transformer

In a message dated 3/30/00 12:33:51 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original Poster: dbortoluzzi-at-sogeda.it
>
>  hi all,
>  I would like to ask to all the pros on the list one thing about a new
>  transformer I had from a friend.
>  The transf. is rated 3000 V if 100 V are applied .. he told me I can also
>  put
>  220 V in and get around 6000 V from the secondary cause margins are huge
>  It is also rated 50 VA (!) .

Daniele,

Usually if a transformer is rated for 100V input, it will saturate if 220
volts
are applied.  If your friend knows for a fact that the transformer can handle
220 volts input, then that's one thing.  The transformer may be able to
handle 220 volts input insulation-wise, but not saturation-wise.  It all
depends on the volts per turn for which the transformer was designed.
Anyway, if you hook it up with a variac as a voltage control, and raise
the voltage while monitoring the current (no secondary connection),
and the current starts to rise a lot as you go over 100 volts, then you'll
know that it's saturating, and is not suitable for 220 volts input.

Now 50VA is actually a very small transformer, most NST's are 360VA
or more.  50VA is sort of like 50 watts (power factor...blah...blah).  Or
do you perhaps mean to say 50A which is indeed a strong input.  Beware
of the lethal aspects of this transformer too.

>  and it is made with red resin
>  the question is "what if I put a variac between the primary of the transf.
>  and mains ?"
>  Is it possible I blow up something ?
>  I also would like to know how can I build a current limiter for this animal
>  (50 VA are not few)
>  cause I really do not know if this tr. is current limited...my suspect is
>  not, cause it was used in a  "High Voltage Central" (He also has some 15
>  Kilos babes, but not for me at the moment)
>  I was with him in the central near two  2100 VA huge transf. that were
>  buzzing a lot...

Probably not current limited.  A variac is meant normally for voltage
control when used in it's intended manner.  Variacs can also be used
in series with the transformer input, as a current controller, with varying
degrees of success.

Cheers, and good luck,
John Freau