[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Better coating

Trent's is a fine idea for uniformly coating a coil...but it brings to
mind a problem that I've always thought existed in t.c.'s & that I'd
value commentary about:  It has seemed to me that whenever there is
something organic, e.g. polyurethane or the like, interposed between
"space" and one's coil, and essentially in contact with that coil, there
is the liklihood of a spark puncturing that material and establishing a
carbon-track path to the coil.  Such path would then seriously
deteriorate the voltage-withstanding capability of the coil.

In my coil design, I have tried to eliminate all such material.  I can
draw sparks from my coil with near-impunity (though, in prudence, I don't
make a practice of it).

Comments?

Ken Herrick

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000 06:53:49 -0700 Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> writes:
> Original Poster: "Trent Mullins" <neontrent-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>
> Hello Coilers,
>

> I had an idea for coating the secondary that worked GREAT.
> Instead of the standard rotating jig and paint brush method,
> I used a pan underneath that the coil ran through filled with
> polyurethane.
> The result:
> A bubble free, wrinkle free,drip and run free, paint brush line free
> coat of
> polyurethane about 1/8" thick after one application.
>
> Here's exactly how I did it:
>
> I built a sheet metal pan 30" long, 6" wide, with 1 1/2" sides.
> This size is for a 6" coil 24" long,
> This holds almost a gallon.
> I let the coil spin THROUGH this pan at 6 rpm for 3 minutes.
> Then, I let it spin OUT of the pan for 8 hours at 6 rpm.
> Like I said, I got 1/8" thick coat after one application that is
> perfectly smooth.
>
> I hope somebody else trys this.
> What a time saver!!
>
> Happy coiling,
> Trent
> <mailto:neontrent-at-earthlink-dot-net>neontrent-at-earthlink-dot-net

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/get/tagj.