[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Musings on 3 phase...

M Fabs,

There is a better way of utilizing 3-phase power in a disruptive TC supply and
it is to go with a 3 phase rectifier and run the coil on DC.  In this scenario
you can get the biggest repeating bang size.  Your idea was bandied about in
private email several years ago between myself and Malcolm Watts and I think
our conclusion was that while an interesting thought exercise, it wasn't
looking overly successful or practical.  In your scenario the largest the bang
from a single capacitor discharge can be is through the processing of only
square root of 3 of the total average input power because the other two phases
from the mains are not available to charge the tank capacitors of your machine
at any given time.

I suspect the comparison is quite like running happily along placing baseball
cards in your spokes, and then running over a brick!

Robert W. Stephens
Director
AREA31 Research Facility
<http://www.area31-dot-org>www.area31-dot-org