[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Kerosene?

--- Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:
> Original Poster: "Ed Phillips" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>
> Tesla List wrote:
> >
> > Original Poster: "Adam" <adamsmith-at-mediaone-dot-net>
> >
> > > Original Poster: "Chris Russell"
> <oldmanjamal-at-netzero-dot-net>
> > >
> > > I read somewhere that kerosene can be used to
> submerge a polyethylene /
> > > aluminum foil stacked plate capacitor. Is this
> true?
> >
> > Oh dear god no!
>
> 	Why not?  It's thin, has good insulating
> properties, and isn't much
> more flammable than typical mineral oil.
>
> Ed

I have seen this done before, it dosent explode
because you need oxygen to have and a spark to ignite
it.  Get all the air out of the cap (use a pump and
make sure you follow the standard breakin procedure)
and keep the chamber compleatly filled you should not
have a problem.
I have also heard of keroseen quenched spark gaps.
--Tom