[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Parallel choke for Variacs :)

Hi All....

with the help of a few people from the list and a few great pictures I have
accomplished the task of paralleling my 2 1256D Variacs...

I took an old 7 amp variac core and wound 2 seperate windings of #10 solid
core wire ( 20 turns each ) onto the core ...

the variac system was set up to handle 240 v in  280 V out for a total of 56
amps ...

the variacs ( inputs)  are wired in parallel with the wiper outputs each going
to the seperate windings on the old variac core ( choke)  the outputs of the
windings ( choke) are connected together and supply the varied voltage with
wonderful results...  I ran the pig system as a Jacobs ladder for several
minutes at full capacity (280V at 45 amps) with minimal heating of the
variacs   altho the inductors ( ballast) did complain a bit but remained
relativitly cool ...

thanks again for all the help ...

Scot D