[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: The Strangest Occurance...

Hi Barry, you have some good questions...

> Hi Dan, All,
>     I have a few questions:
> 1. Do you notice any difference in the temperature and appearance of
> the
> spark gap? (Constructive interference from the secondary base may be
> aiding
> quench?)

--Yes the center electrode does get hot (probably because it is small in
comparison to the other gap electrodes). Although I have NOT spent a
great deal of time starring into the gap, it does appear to be the same
color/apearance. I have also thought that this set-up might be aiding the
quench, but not by the secondary as you wrote. I thought it was probably
due to the RF ground aiding the quench. I want to test this further by
construncting another seperate RF ground rod totally isolated from the
other system, so that only the center electrode would be connected to it.

> 2. Does reversing the primary leads make a difference? (Eliminates
> capacitance between the primary and secondary if no difference?)

--Haven't tried this one. Can you explain how this would elminate C
between coils though?

> 3. Does putting a small inductance between the secondary base and
> the spark
> gap center conductor affect the spark length, spark gap appearance,
> or
> resonant frequency of the secondary (need to retune?)? (Eliminates
> secondary effects?)

--Hey this is a great thought! I will try it. Do you think an old RF
choke will do the trick? I though there might be some type of interplay
between the secondary and the gap.

> 4. What did you say was the size of the wire in the secondary?

--26 gauge Belden magnet wire (~640 ft).

I have done some other work on it and found the most AMAZING result so
far! I disconnected the secondary from the RF ground, so that it was only
"grounded" to the gap electrode. I fired the coil up and it managed to
spit 6" arcs! Normally when the secondary is ungrounded it struggles to
produce 1/16" arcs. Another interesting note here...you really have to
close the gaps down so that the transformer will fire well below the
output voltage for max streamers! This is really wierd. Thanks for the
new direction!

> Barry
>
> Subject: The Strangest Occurance...
>

> > Original Poster: "Dan Kunkel" <kunk77-at-juno-dot-com>
> >
> > Last night I was fiddling around with my coil. The strangest thing
> > happened when used my safety gap as the main spark gap. With the
> center
> > post grounded to the RF ground, I was producing the largest arcs I
> have
> > seen to date with this 9KV 60 mA coil. I tried it several times
> without
> > the ground (so it was a plain ol' 2 gap multiple spark gap) and
> with a
> > standard static gap. Nothing produced the arc lengths that the
> grounded
> > electrode did. Normal arcs are 8"-10" but the grounded electrode
> made
> > 12"-14" arcs.

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/get/tagj.