[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Possible MMC?

Hi Andy,

There is one thing I would worry about.  Pulse current ratings.  Since
these caps seem to have low dissipation, the RMS rating is probably fine.
However, the caps need to withstand very high current (~200amp) pulses.
Pulse rated caps have very low inductance and the internal foil layers are
all continuously attached to a heavy end lead connection.  These heavy
connections allow very high current pulses to pass without burning out.
Many caps that have otherwise good sounding specifications my have thin or
weak lead connections that will quickly fail during high current pulses.

You might try to find a dV/dT, dI/dT, or repetitive pulse current rating
for these caps.  If you could get a few, you could also tear one apart to
see if it has the needed heavy metal and low inductance connections.  They
may be able to tell you these things and the internal inductance and series
if you call them.

Judging by the pictures on the web site, I would worry a lot about the lead
connections and other design issues associated with these audio poly caps.
These caps seem to be rather low volume custom devices for the high end
audio industry.  I wonder if they have the knowledge and quality control of
a Panasonic, Phillips, or WIMA when it comes to the really heavy duty cap
applications.  A modern EMMC may put 20kV across only 4 mil of "perfect"
polypropylene.  That is not easy to do without really knowing many tricks.
That is also what separates the places that make thousands of capacitors a
year from the places that make hundreds of millions...  I also wonder if
they have the complex "self-healing" properties of the high voltage pulse
caps...

Best to be cautious.  High energy poly caps or a very specialized niche.
There are a lot of manufacturers that have it figured out.  However, there
are many that do not...

Cheers,

	Terry