[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Secondary winding

On Sat, 13 May 2000 20:07:54 -0600 Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> writes:
> Original Poster: "Brad DiGiovine" <Guido28-at-mediaone-dot-net>
>
> I just have a quick question about a different type of wire to use
> instead of magnet wire for winding secondary's.  Does anyone know
> any
> advantages/disadvantages to using very thin insulated stranded wire
> instead of solid magnet wire. or is there any difference?
>
> Thanks
>
> Brad

Brad,

Some people have some some success with non-magnet wire secondary coils.
I think I have heard of (28 awg??) telephone wire (the kind they run in
your house attic/basement). You should try to stick with magnet wire if
you can. It provides a much higher inductance over stranded insulated
wire. The insulation is too thick on stranded wire, it would be like
space-winding magnet wire.

If you were to use REALLY thin insulated wire you could bump up the
inductance (this also severly lowering the resonant frequency of the bare
coil due to lots of turns)...but then your coil will have a much more
higher RF resistance due to thin wire and excessive length, both of which
scrub power.

If you are having trouble locating any magnet wire, I can recommend
electric motor repair/rewind shops. I have had great luck here. Virtually
any and every size and length of magnet wire  for cheap (usually the cost
of what the shop paid).

Good luck, and don't be afraid to wind a non-magnet wire coil on a rainy
day...experimentation is the only real test!

Dan
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/get/tagj.