[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Microwave Oven Transformers

In a message dated 5/15/00 11:47:01 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original Poster: "R.L. Hilbun" <SEIOKC-at-swbell-dot-net>
>
>  Has anyone successfully used MOTs?
>
>  They can't be more dangerous than a pole pig!
>
>  At 1500 volts each, do you put 8 or ten in series?
>
>  What about using two or four and a voltage doubler(s)?
>
>  How do you handle the one side of the HV that is usually connected to the
>  core?
>
>  R.L. Hilbun  (RL)

RL,

In one test, I used 4 MOT's in series, with the center point grounded.
the two outer cores were hot (dangerous)..   MOT's have poor insulation,
so there was some corona sparkling between primary and core.  In
any case, I got 62" sparks using a rotary gap and 4 to 6kVA depending
on whether or not I used extra external ballasting or not.  You cannot
series more than 4 MOT's safely.  I left the cores connected to one
side of the secodnary.  You can use the voltage doubler approach,
and a number of folks on this list have done that.

Cheers,
John Freau