[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Non-tech Question

Snip..

> But, what real purpose does a coil have other than to scare someone or
> worse, injure or kill or merely light fluorescent tubes?
>
> Once someone has achieved that 10 foot arc...what becomes of the coil once
> it's power has been shared with all either in person or on the web?
>
> This may sound like blasphemy. But this posting is truly a desire to
> understand something of the philosophy of the coiler that so far has
> escaped me.
>
> The truth is out there and I want to believe...someone once said.
> Help me to understand. And I will thank you all.
>
> Ted Rosenberg

Hi Ted,

A couple of weeks ago somebody wrote me an email with the question why I
preferred a TC instead of a Marx generator. This was (partly) my answer:

> The reason we make TC's is not only to make big sparks, but also to honor
> Nikola Tesla and to use resonance as the main source. Resonance has
> something mystical. It intrigues me to put little pieces of power in a
> system on the right time to let it build up until it breaks down. Besides
> that a TC is much more impressive to see as a Marx Generator (MG) because
of
> the apparent continuous lightning of a TC (at least 120bps). I figure the
MG
> is also to simple to understand.

NOW I would add the following:

- Almost everyone can put a TC together, but let it run efficiently is a
real art.
- Which HV generator has a list like the current TC list? This is real
inspiration!
- If you keep it simple a TC can be put together in a weekend with basic
natural materials.
- It has a very strong association with the early radio transmissions
(romance aspect again).
- It has a democratic aspect: you can keep it cheap, just like Tesla would
like to see it.

I'm pretty sure if you ask me this question two weeks from now I can come up
with some more reasons (I have given you nine reasons as of now).

I started HV 'projects' when I was 11 with a Rhumkorff coil at first
wondering what the book could mean with 'an element'. At 13 year, I made my
first Tesla Coil with help of my black and white television HV. No
impressive sparks (the old 'much windings with thin wire' concept) but Neon
tubes where burning when I hold them!

I can remember that my father asked me: 'What is the use of this thing? Why
do you make it?'
I answered from the heart something like: 'because it make me feel good to
do something that Tesla did 80 years ago and I'm learning with pleasure.
What more do you want...'

Greetings from very dark Holland without any lightning.

Ruud de Graaf