[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Power in TC system

Hi Gavin

At 10:20 PM 05/15/2000 +0100, you wrote:
>Thanks Richie and Terry,
>O.K, so the power can be given by:
>
>P = 0.5* C*Bps* V^2
>
>but the losses in the NST secondary and the rest of the system in
>general should also be taken into account. Also the chaotic behavior
>makes Bps a difficult parameter to nail.
>
>So, the next questions are,
>
>1) For a rotary gap what percent should I add to the power given in the
>above formula as a "rule of thumb?"

A rotary gap (synchronous) can give better output because you can run
larger caps with them.  They can also be set to fire at consistently higher
voltages in some cases.  In general, about 50% of the primary capacitor's
energy makes it to the streamers.  The rest is eaten in the gap.  Other
than that, "it all depends" on many variables, so no general rule applies.

Cheers,

	Terry