[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Wives and Tesla coils

Hi A. Banerjee (what's your first name?),

I had to laugh when when I read this (but with much sympathy). Many of us have
wives (and maybe some husbands out there for the female coilers) that just
don't understand why we do this thing we do. They "know" it's dangerous, it's
loud, we spend a alot of our time in the garage or on the pc, and they think
the neighbors are just not going to like it. My wife has been pretty
understanding - but she has her days.

Actually, you could reduce the noise of the spark gap and safety gap. Having
the spark gap and safety gap enclosed and with some foam designed to reduce
noise should help. I know there is noise reduction foam that can be purchased,
but I haven't checked out where to obtain some. Probably car audio manfacturers
or similar would carry this. You should still allow are cooling, but there's no
reason you couldn't reduce much of the noise. My SRSG is enclosed on 5 sides
and open on the back end. I have noticed considerable noise reduction since I
did this. The enclosure was built out of thick would and was really only for
added safety incase of a failure with the rotating electrodes - the noise
reduction was a plus. I'm sure if I added some of that foam the noise would
decrease further. hmmmm - might be a good idea.

Bart