[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla's Wireless Power Transmission ==> was Re: Non-tech Q

I thought some of you might be interested in Tesla's own words on "The
Transmission Of Electric Energy Without Wires". The following is a brief
excerpt (I don't type very well & it is a 10 page paper) from a paper he
wrote to the Electrical World and Engineer (apparently a journal of sorts) on
March 5, 1904. If anyone is interested in the entire paper I'll try and scan
my copy of it & send it to them off-list. For what it's worth:

" ...With these stupendous possibilities in sight, with the experimental
evidences before me that their realization was henceforth merely a question
of expert knowledge, patience and skill, I attacked vigorously the
development of my magnifying transmitter, now, however, not so much with the
original intention of producing one of great power, as with the object of
learning how to construct the best one. This is, essentially, a circuit of
very high self induction and small resistance which in its arrangement, mode
of excitation and action, may be said to be the diametrical opposite of a
transmitting circuit typical of telegraphy by Hertzian or electromagnetic
radiations. It is difficult to form an adequate idea of the marvelous power
of this unique appliance, by the aid of which the globe will be transformed.
The electromagnetic radiations being reduced to an insignificant quantity,
and proper conditions of resonance maintained, the circuit acts like an
immense pendulum, storing indefinitely the energy of the primary exciting
impulses and impressions upon the earth and its conducting atmosphere uniform
harmonic oscillations of intensities which, as actual tests have shown, may
be pushed so far as to surpass those attained in the natural displays of
static electricity.
Simultaneously with these endeavors, the means of individualization and
isolation were gradually improved. Great importance was attached to this, for
it was found that simple tuning was not sufficient to meet the vigorous
practical requirements. The fundamental idea of employing a number of
distinctive elements, co-operatively associated, for the purpose of isolating
energy transmitted, I trace directly to my perusal of Spencer's clear and
suggestive exposition of the human nerve mechanism. The influence of this
principle on the transmission of intelligence, and electrical energy in
general, cannot as yet be estimated, for the art is still in the embryonic
stage; but many thousands of simultaneous telegraphic and telephonic
messages, through one single conducting channel, natural or artificial, and
without serious mutual interference, are certainly practicable, while
millions are possible. On the other hand, any desired degree of
individualization may be secured by the use of a great number of co-operative
elements and arbitrary variation of their distinctive features and orders of
succession. For obvious reasons, the principle will also be valuable in the
extension of the distance of transmission. ..."

Let the debate continue. As always I am learning a lot from the list postings.

Jim