[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

toroid size

i was experimenting (actually my son reckons I was just playing) with one of my
mini coils the other day. Amongst the things I tried was changing the toroid.
The coil is 1.1" dia 5" tall wound with about 850 turns. The coil has operated
happily producing sparks of about 2.5" many dozens of times. It is very tame.
This time I changed the toroid to one which was only marginally larger in
overall diameter, but with a fatter ring (about 50% bigger). I re-tuned the
primary (about 1 extra turn). Sparks were now far larger, including strikes to
the primary (occasionally as long as 4.5" to a grounded point). I think that
this illustrates clkearly the significance of the radius of curvature. I was so
encouraged that I looked out another former and intend to run a binary pair.
Steve