[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: CD's

Hi,

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Ted Rosenberg" <Ted.Rosenberg-at-radioshack-dot-com>
>
> Bryan:
> One of the "no-no"s of sealing a secondary form is to not have a hole into
> the inside of the tube.
> The CD has a center hole of about 1/2 inch or so.
> Many approaches exist to place the toroid take off point and ground at the
> other end. I use a small PVC fitting cemented to the disk. The brass lug is
> fitted to this small PVC cap. My wires go to the lugs. never into the tube.

To secure my secondary to the plywood base, I drilled and tapped a 1/4-20
hole in
the center of the 1/2" PP secondary end cap, and used a brass machine screw to
hold it together.  I intend to replace it with a nylon bolt, but I only had
a 1"
long nylon bolt at teh time, and needed 2" long.  I'm considering the
possibility
of using the same setup to attach my toroid a little more solidly, and let it
still remain detachable (nylon bolts on *both* ends, if I were to do this).

> Other than the above I think it's a great use for those dumb CDs that I get
> as junk mail <smile>

Personally, I don't think there'd be too much of a problem as long as there
are no
wires going inside the form.  Also, if you could fill the hole with a wooden
dowel, or something, I would think it would work pretty good.

I hate those CDs.  I like my own way to dispose of them....  I attached an
alligator clip to a piece of wire that I lay across my topload.  Place a CD
in the
clip and let 'er rip.  Even with a smaller coil, a discharge to ground will
vaporize the aluminum.  I think it's pretty cool (although burning plastic
doesn't
smell the greatest).

Good luck

Mark